Wednesday, June 10, 2015

"Area Man Leaving Area"

By Tyler Socash
IG: @tylerhikes
http://vestigo.co/blog/go-explore-tyler-socash

Circled round by kingly mountains, breathed upon by healing balm sits a town symbolized by a bear face bumper sticker.  A town so singular that despite its small size and meager year-round population, it is instantly recognized as the place, "Where the fun never stops!"  Some place warm.  A place where the beer flows like wine.  A place where the snowmobilers instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano...  This place is home. 


"So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."  This Mark Twain quote seems very fitting at the moment.

Ten years ago today I went sailing on First Lake in Old Forge, NY.  Dylan, Patrick, and I had our own mini-adventure.  This was one of the little things that I loved about growing up in a small mountain town.  Adventure was everywhere!  You could get lost in the Ha-De-Ron-Dah Wilderness on one side of town (shout out to the gang that remembers this notorious day), REALLY get lost in the Moose River Plains on the other side of town, or look down upon the lake-speckled & wooded vastness while standing atop Bald Mt. in the middle.  Ten years ago we just happened to pick sailing, but we truly could have done anything.

                                         
Hey look!  It's Bald Mountain!

My upcoming trip is not without peril. Don't let this clip from Good Day Rochester fool you...

Sure, I'm excited... I'm on the edge of a huge adventure!  I know where I'm heading... The Pacific Crest Trail will take me through 7 National Parks, 48 wilderness areas, and 2,650 miles of fun!  New Zealand and the Appalachian Trail will be soon to follow.

But there will also be many lonely nights when I'll miss where I'm from...

 Surviving Brown's Track on my first 90-miler with Natalie, Tina, and Olin! (Photo Credit: Seth Jones)

 Avalanche Pass in the High Peaks Wilderness with the parents!

The Adirondacks will always be my home.  I love it here.  I loved growing up in a small town with only 26 kids in my graduating class.  I loved hiking Bald Mountain with friends.  I loved playing hockey at North Street.  I loved hanging out at The Lakefront and The Place To Be.  I loved the Arcade and The Strand.  I loved Nutty Putty.  I loved Enchanted Forest Water Safari.  I loved the mighty hemlocks and stately Cathedral Pines.  I loved skiing at McCauley Mountain.  I loved the Green Bridge.  I loved golfing in Thendara.  I loved Lock and Dam.  I loved floating the Moose River.  I loved our campfires at Triple Left and the Dynamite Shack.  I loved how Columbus Day was always my favorite holiday.  I loved the fall foliage.  I loved our starry nights.  I loved the abundance of amazing wildlife.  I loved the clean air.  I loved the long, character-building winters.  I loved throwing snowballs.  I loved the stillness and the peacefulness.  I loved the Fulton Chain of Lakes and the haunting loon calls.

Talk about a paradise... 
...May it forever remain the same!

 Winning Sectionals at the Dome in 2003 with the coolest kids!

  Completing my first round of the 46 High Peaks with my family (Mt. Colden)

And the people!!!  The characters of Old Forge are legendary!  The kids growing up in our great town get to know everybody.  What an amazing social experience!  All of the teachers/staff at Town of Webb!  All of the small business owners who employ us!  All of the adults who become mentors and coaches!  All of the amazing people who protect our town!  All of the people who support us at our athletic events, concerts, and plays!  All of the people who come out for Columbus Day!  All of the Bubs!  We grew up among Olympians!  We all earned our stripes by singing Down by the Bay with incredible caregivers in kindergarten!  All of the summer friends and relatives who visit us because we live in an amazing destination!

How lucky it is to grow up in a community comprised of the most genuine and caring people!

 One of the greatest days of my life... Buttermilk Falls, Bog River Flow, Tupper Lake canoeing!

 Please don't be mad at me if this is illegal.  The view was just too good to pass up!!!

If something doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you.  Even though it's tough to leave a safe haven behind, other mountains are calling, and I must go.  I must set sail, venture out!

This post is a shout out to every person who has ever called Old Forge and the surrounding communities, "Home."  This post is to let you all know that I love you.  This post is a promise that that I will make our town proud.  When people on the trail ask where I'm from, I will smile wide and say, "The greatest town in the world.  Old Forge, NY."

Until our next meeting,

Tyler "Totally Loves the ADK" Socash

Follow the journey @tylerhikes on Instagram this June

No comments:

Post a Comment