Thursday, June 25, 2015

The Final Countdown

By Tyler Socash
IG: @tylerhikes

"Do not open until airborne (or whenever, it's not like I can stop you)."  I accelerated into this adventure with an unopened letter gripped tightly in my hand.  As I wait to board my first flight I'm realizing that pulling an "all-nighter" probably wasn't ideal given that I'll be entering the Pasayten Wilderness of northern Washington in 12 hours.  This is one of the most remote sections of the Pacific Crest Trail — there's only one paved road that leads you to this majestic part of the country.  Over half of the glaciers found in the lower 48 states are located here, and I'm told that there are a lot of lynx in the North Cascades, too.  Cool

When you leave for a long distance thru-hike your world really turns upside down. Almost everyone on the Pacific Crest Trail is in limbo.  A lot of loose ends have to be taken care of before you embark on a 5-month quest.  I happened to be typing my final grad school paper only a few hours ago!  It's been difficult to sleep with my life in a state of flux... 

10 years in Rochester... What a run!

Suddenly you realize that you've said your last goodbyes.  (These are a little awkward due to the fact that the future is so uncertain.)  You realize that your apartment is completely empty.  There aren't any keys in your pocket.  Effectively, you become homeless.  It's bizarre, but I'm ready for the trail to become my new home. 

Things that you've been potentially taking for granted go by in a flash.  Your last shower, your last hometown restaurant meal, your last view of downtown.  You try to give everything magnitude because you never know when you're going to see certain people or things again.  I guess a lot of it won't sink in until it's really gone.  Good thing I give powerful hugs!  I'm not trying to be melodramatic, but it is a bit shocking to realize that all of the normalcies of yesterday will soon be replaced by oddities and new experiences tomorrow.   

Choose your own Adventure - Daily if Possible!

For the first time in a long time I don't feel anchored down to anything.  No work projects, no deadlines, no grad school assignments, no, "Oh sorry I can't hang out tonight I've got this thing."  Even weekends have a palpable finite feeling to them — come Sunday morning you understand that work is happening Monday.  Now no barrier stands in my way.  There's nothing holding me back.  It's "retirement," but at 28!  I feel limitless.  I feel free.  I feel like I can do anything. This feels awesome.

...Gosh it's weird not having any keys in your pocket!

As I amble down the jetway I'm blissfully unaware of how arduous my undertaking actually is.  The lady next to me on my first flight leans in and asks, "Are you going on a hike?!"  "Yes, a long one!" I replied.  "Well I wish you luck," she said with a smile.  I'm sure I'll need a lot of luck.  Thanks random lady!

As I stand on the brink of my greatest adventure I notice that life becomes an endless series of countdowns.  Whether it be the next vacation, life event, etc. we are always looking ahead.  Tonight is my last foreseeable countdown.  I'll take my first steps on the PCT tomorrow, and I couldn't be happier.  Every view will be new!  I can sleep wherever I want!  (Yes, while being mindful to camp on durable surfaces!)  Countdown freedom!

Oh right I forgot that I set this blog post up with a cliffhanger.  If you hung on this long and were like, "Jeez FINALLY!" then this payoff is for you...  People should write more letters.  Hand-written letters.  As this multi-ton vessel somehow achieves liftoff, I am now free to open this goodbye letter addressed to me.  Vow kept. 

Within the goodbye letter, which was word for word one of my favorite letters of all-time, a friend reminds me that we can choose to make the most out of every single experience... no matter how mundane the experience might be.  Why waste time counting down when we can live every day?  He also quoted Shawshank Redemption, which was really well done but it unfortunately doesn't tie in with the "countdown" theme that I apparently pigeonholed myself into... 

The point is that you don't have to walk the Pacific Crest Trail to have an exciting experience.  All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.  Maximize your time with friends and family.  You never know when one of them is going to up and leave for the PCT ;)

Yeah, that was a Gandalf quote back there.  Bonus points to you!  


Until our next meeting...


Oh and I made it to Seatte.  BOOM!




2 comments:

  1. Good luck! I admire your ambitions and wanderlust and can't wait to follow along! We have yet to do the PCT (but will), but have done the AT and TA. Both were fantastic experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler, I am a 70 year old kick ass Papa in Rochester, NY. (My assessment) Just finished reading Wild and found you the next day in the D & C. So excited about following you on the trail. I just started light hiking and photography. Can't wait for your updates. Enjoy and stay focused. I'll meet you on the trail.

    ReplyDelete